Happy February! Love is in the air…gym love, that is! Darrick has inspired some gym love with his story of becoming a gym owner and what got him there. If you haven’t read it yet, check it out here: http://crossfitre.com/2015/02/story-dont-care/. We have a short month ahead so I’ll cut right to the good stuff:
2/16 – Test week begins! Post-Hatch cycle and pre-CrossFit Open, this week will be chock full of benchmark WOD’s to tackle and essential lifts to test your personal records (PR). We do this every few months and it is AWESOME. Record your times/weights to see your progress and for future reference.
2/21 – USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships are at the Royal Esquire Club. Our very own Abbey Moon, Emily Silgard and Hannah McHugh are competing for general awesomeness and new State & American Records! http://usaplwa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2015-02-22_state-meet_entry.pdf
2/22 – Spartan Sunday Paintball is happening! Meet at RE at 8am to carpool or 9am at the paintball field KC Crusaders. Challenge your fitness in a whole new way! This will definitely get your blood pumping. http://www.kc-crusaders.com/new/
2/26 – CrossFit Open begins! WODs will be announced Thursday and be programmed the following day all 5 weeks of the Open. Haven’t done a competition before? Good, sign up. Seasoned veteran? Good, sign up. CrossFit isn’t “your sport”, it’s just for fitness? Good, sign up. Whatever your level of CrossFit experience, it cannot be argued that the CrossFit Open is a great way to test your abilities, motivate you to learn some new movements, and bring the greater international CrossFit community a bit closer to home. We can always use help judging too so take the judges course (yes, you can still compete and be a judge). http://games.crossfit.com/article/register-open-now
A few things needing some attention/refreshing:
- Our gym rules are our backbone. All of us have not followed the rules at one time or another. All of us could do better to remind ourselves of the rules and why we have them.
- Leave your ego at the door.
- Don’t drop naked bars (or bars with plates smaller than 15s) or kettlebells.
- Do not put away equipment until everyone has finished the WOD.
- Don’t leave until everyone has finished – stay and cheer each other on. We’re all part of this community.
- Always squat below parallel – if you have to ask, the answer is yes, lower.
- Keep the gym clean. Wipe up fluids, spray down equipment, and put things back where you found them.
- Don’t stand or walk in someone’s line of sight while they are lifting, especially heavy weights. It’s a safety concern.
- Show up on time and have fun!
- Listen to your coaches & respect your body.
- ALWAYS remember: Technique, Consistency, Intensity – in that order.
- You have probably seen the new compost bins. Just like at your home, we are subject to the Ban Ordinances on recyclables and compostables in garbage bins. This includes paper towels, which belong in the compost bins.
- We apologize for any trouble you may have experienced with “an unsigned document” or digital waiver preventing you from signing in. We will have everyone sign this digital waiver to be a bit more green, and to get rid of that pesky alert. Keep an eye out for that in the next couple weeks.
- Please remember which RE Facebook page is for member communication (CrossFit RE gym page) and which is the outward facing, public page (Rugged Elite/CrossFit RE) and post accordingly.
February Member of the Month:
Joan Kleinberg! Joan has made some major health and strength gains in the past few months and is a total inspiration! She has been in for evening classes (5 days in a row, recently), she comes in on the weekend to deadlift, she wants to make it to Barbell Club, and on and on. Now, Joan is obviously dedicated, but she is also completely humble and is easy to smile. Thanks Joan for doing so much for yourself, and for doing it with us at RE!